Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Sunday, October 2, 2016

October Stake Relief Society Message

October 2016

Sisters, as I pondered what to address this month, my mind was all over the place. Things that I needed to get done kept popping up and I had a difficult time trying to focus. As a result, I felt it was important that this month’s message be on “Focusing on the Savior”. Our lives are so filled with so many things, that I think we need to stop and focus on what we truly should be focusing on…the Savior.

How can we and why should we take time out of our extremely busy days and nights to place the Savior first? Aren’t we doing good things? Shouldn’t family be our focus? How can I fit in just one more thing? I know that it is important, but isn’t what I am doing good enough? Is it? Only you and the Lord together can answer that question. Recently, I played the piano and accompanied a wonderful arrangement with Cello, Violin, and two beautiful voices of “if the Savior Stood Beside Me.” As the music flowed and the words came to my mind, I was touched. What would I do differently? How would my focus change if the Savior was beside me? Elder Dallin H. Oaks declared in his April 2001 Conference talk, “Our priorities determine what we seek in life.” Shouldn’t the Savior be first?

How can we daily strive to focus more on eternal things? We need to work, eat, go to school, and even play. All of these things can be wonderful, so how do we prioritize correctly. I find it interesting that when we are asked to talk in church or have to give a lesson, we take the time to study, ponder, and pray to ensure that we are prepared. How is that possible? Priorities! I say these things as much to myself as anyone. I am a Netflix binger, Soccer Mom, who works on a computer for work and play. I love electronics and could easily be lost in its powers for hours. Do I need to remove them from my life? Probably not, but I must use them to my advantage by using the resources available through them to learn more about the Savior and how I can help my family come closer to him.

Each of us has interests, talents, hobbies, and things that drive us. The key is to figure out in your life how you can take something that you love to do and involve the Savior and learning of him in that. You love to read? Seek out spiritually uplifting books. You love to bake? Bake with your children and take some cookies to someone who needs your special touch in their lives. You are really effective at cleaning and organizing? Do as the Savior and seek out those who need your special gift to help them in their time of need. Good on a computer? Take some time to do some Family History searching or indexing. Still need to binge on Netflix? Grab someone who is alone, struggling, in need of a friend, or heartbroken and bring them into your life and share that time together to lift them and help them feel loved.

If we change our focus to think more like the Savior, to feel more like the Savior, and to love more like the Savior. We will become more like the Savior. Find time to read your scriptures. Find time to attend all of your church meetings. Find time to do the best you can in your callings. Find time to pray. Live your life in such a way, that if the Savior visited you today, you would be grateful and ready. He is watching. He is aware of your struggles. Believe in him and believe him. He has promised us that if we place him first in all things, he will “pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.” I know this is true. I have seen it and felt it and I am eternally grateful to him.

Love,

Valyn Tucker
Kanesville Stake RS 1st Counselor