Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Saturday, November 5, 2016

November Stake Relief Society Message


November 2016
Sisters, I was so excited to have the opportunity to write the November message, especially after watching General Conference. After a weekend of inspiring messages, everything just seems a little easier. I sat down and wrote my message and I just wasn’t satisfied, so I tried again and the same thing happened. Two more messages later and I realized I wasn’t able to portray the messages that I felt so strongly about. Because I can’t put the whole weekend of talks into one message, I wanted to focus on President Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s O How Great the Plan of Our God conference address. 
 
He talks about how it seems to be human nature that as we become more familiar with something, even something miraculous and awe-inspiring, we lose our sense of awe and treat it as commonplace. He goes on to say:
Think of how you felt when for the first time you believed and understood that you are truly a child of God; that Jesus Christ willingly suffered for your sins so that you may be clean again; that priesthood power is real and can bind you to your loved ones for time and for all eternity; that there is a living prophet on the earth today. Isn’t that wonderful and amazing?
Considering all of this, how could it ever be possible that we of all people would not be excited about attending our Church worship services? Or get tired of reading the holy scriptures? I suppose this could be possible only if our hearts were past feeling to experience gratitude and awe for the sacred and sublime gifts God has granted us. Life-changing truths are before our eyes and at our fingertips, but sometimes we sleepwalk on the path of discipleship.”
We have answers! I am grateful as well that the gospel of Jesus Christ has answers to the most complex questions in life. The Lord has provided answers that are true, plain, straightforward, and easy to understand. It is so simple, that the answers are often referred to as “Primary answers”, but it can take courage to trust in the guidance of the Spirit and choose the right.
I still remember the time when I was sitting in sacrament meeting after not attending a church meeting for over 17 years. I felt the spirit so strongly that I began to cry. It was a feeling of coming home. I am extending President Uchtdorf’s question to all of us. “What shall we give in return for the flood of light and truth God has poured out upon us?” How blessed we are to have the knowledge of the Plan of Happiness! May we share it with those that have never heard it and those that have forgotten. I feel blessed to be surrounded by such amazing women. You are truly my sisters!
Love, 
Patty Mark 2nd Counselor 
Kanesville Stake Relief Society Presidency