Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

June 2018 Kanesville Stake Relief Society Message

June 2018

“Ministering” is a term we have heard and said frequently since our most recent general conference.  When I think of ministering, I think about how I can more effectively love and care for those around me – my family, friends, and neighbors.  I strive to be sensitive to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost to guide me in how I might best serve.  My prayers include asking for direction about who I might serve.  I know many of you are doing the same as we adjust to a holier way of caring for each other through our assignments as ministering companionships and through individual opportunities to minister.  Our lives and the lives of those to whom we minister will be greatly blessed as we prayerfully participate in the Lord’s work.

There is another work of ministering that also brings great blessings.  Elder Dale G. Renlund said, “Family history and temple work is not only for the dead but blesses the living as well …. It is breathtakingly amazing that, through family history and temple work, we can help to redeem the dead…. as we participate in family history and temple work today we also lay claim to ‘healing’ blessings promised by prophets and apostles.”  He also said, “When we gather our family histories and go to the temple on behalf of our ancestors, God fulfills promised blessings simultaneously on both sides of the veil”.   In other words, as we minister for the dead through family history and temple work, they “minister” to us.  President Joseph F. Smith said, “When messengers are sent to minister to the inhabitants of this earth, they are not strangers, but from the ranks of our kindred [and] friends.”  Elder Renlund goes on to describe some of the promised blessings resulting from family history and temple work.  They include: Increased influence of the Holy Ghost to feel strength and direction for our own lives; Increased faith, so that conversion to the Savior becomes deep and abiding; Increased family blessings, no matter our current, past or future family situation or how imperfect our family tree may be; and Increased protection from temptation and the intensifying influence of the adversary.  Have you prayed for any of these blessings?  Family history and temple work is one way we can call these blessings down from heaven and enlist the help of angels – our ancestors and other loved ones – to help us with whatever we need!

I recently had an experience that caused me to reflect on our relationship and responsibility to those on the other side of the veil.  We cannot see them but they are near! had the privilege of being with a friend as she passed from this life to the next.  I held her hand and watched as her breathing shallowed and her heart slowed.  I was sad to watch her go – I will miss her! But, I was also happy as I imagined her free from her aged body and greeting loved ones who surely were waiting for her beyond the veil of this mortal life.  I reflected on the blessing of temples and the privilege to make sacred covenants and be sealed as families for eternity.  My friend was not a member of the church and had not received the gift of temple blessings.  Her death doesn’t take away her opportunity but she now must depend on us to perform those ordinances for her – to minister to her – and I believe she will have the opportunity to minister to us.

Sisters, I encourage you to accept President Nelson’s invitation to “prayerfully consider what kind of sacrifice – preferably a sacrifice of time – you can make [to] do more temple and family history work.”   As we do so, I testify we will be blessed in ways we never imagined! We will be sanctified, strengthened, and healed.

Love,
Michelle Holt
President


Resources for Study

•    Malachi 4

•    Dale G. Renlund, “Family History and Temple Work: Sealing and Healing,” Ensign, May 2018, 46.

•    Taniela B. Wakolo, “Saving Ordinances Will Bring Us Marvelous Light.” Ensign, May 2018, 39.

•    Russell M. Nelson and Wendy W. Nelson, “Open the Heavens through Temple and Family History Work,” Ensign, Oct. 2017, 39.

•    FamilySearch.org

•    JustServe.org – There are currently 113 opportunities within 5 miles of Roy and 86 within 5 miles of Ogden

•    The Family: A Proclamation to the World

•    “Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple” – a church publication available at lds.org