Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Friday, September 1, 2017

August 2017 Stake Relief Society Message

August 2017
Sisters,

Have you ever thought about the word “nevertheless”? It appears often in the scriptures. One example is found in 1 Nephi 4:6-7 – “And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless I went forth”.

Nevertheless. That little word. That powerful word! So easy to skim over as we read. What does it mean? The dictionary defines it as ‘even so’ or ‘in spite of’.


Nephi and his brothers were commanded to go back to Jerusalem and get the plates. Nephi tried to rally his brothers for the task – asking them to “be strong like unto Moses” and to remember that an angel had spoken unto them. He asked them “Wherefore can ye doubt? Let us go up.”. So, they went up, not knowing beforehand the things which they should do. Nevertheless, they went forth.
Nephi acted, even though he didn’t know what would happen. I’m sure he was nervous, scared even – but he acted. And so must we. Elder Bednar said, “Taking action is the exercise of faith. The children of Israel are carrying the ark of the covenant. They come to the River Jordan. The promise is, they will cross over on dry land. When does the water part? When their feet are wet. They walk into the river – act – and power follows. The water parts. We oftentimes believe, ‘I’m going to have this perfect understanding, and then I’m going to transform that into what I do.’ I would suggest that we have enough to get started. We have a sense of the right direction. Faith is a principle – the principle of action and of power. True faith is focused in and on the Lord Jesus Christ and always leads to action”. (https://www.lds.org/…/principle-1-exercise-faith-in-jesus-c…)
Here are some other examples. I have included some of my thoughts. Consider what you might apply to your life as you study these passages:

Matthew 26:39 - “And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”
Our Savior loves us. He was willing to suffer and give his life for us. He was willing but hoped there was another way. In spite of that (nevertheless) he submitted to His Father’s will. I think there is a great lesson in that as we make decisions in our lives.

Luke 5:5 – “And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.”
Simon had worked all night with no result. He didn’t see that there was any reason to cast his net yet again. Even so (nevertheless) he trusted. He acted. He was bounteously blessed. From this I was reminded that things are not always as they seem. We cannot see all that the Lord sees. If we will trust him and act, he can greatly bless us.

1 Nephi 17:42 – “And they did harden their hearts from time to time, and they did revile against Moses, and also against God; nevertheless, ye know that they were led forth by his matchless power into the land of promise.”
I’m so grateful that the Lord tries to lead me even when I’m not being fully obedient. I do harden my heart from time to time. Even so (nevertheless) the Lord leads me by his matchless power. What a blessing!

Jacob 4:6-7 – “Wherefore, we search the prophets, and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken, insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, or the mountains, or the waves of the sea. Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things.”
The Lord richly blesses us when we are obedient and when we diligently strive to learn and become close to the Spirit however (nevertheless), He will remind us that all we have and do is by His grace and power. We are instruments in his hands to do His work. The moment we lean unto our own understanding it ceases to be His work. Just because we could command the trees or the mountains or the waves of the sea to obey us, doesn’t mean we should.

Ether 2:24 – “For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.”
Some trials in my life can seem insurmountable. At times, I feel as if I’m drowning – that the waves are dashing upon me and I can’t swim or see a way to the shore. At those times, I remind myself that trials create opportunity for me to be strengthened. The waves that cause me hardship and difficulty are the same waves that are pushing me to the promised land. He does send the winds and the waves. Even so (nevertheless), He will bring us up again.
I testify of the blessings that come when we study the scriptures and liken them to our lives. I pray those blessings for you as you study, learn, and liken.

Love,
Sis. Michelle Holt
President