Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Friday, November 8, 2013

Chicken Canning, Freezing, Slow Cooking

Just a quick post for you locals - Kent's has 40 lbs of chicken for $50, making it $1.25 a pound.  I haven't seen it that low in awhile.

Yesterday I prepared 80 lbs of chicken.

Freezer meals:

Hawaiian - I can't remember where the recipe came from but it's super easy and we love it.

Hawaiian Chicken
3 1/2 chicken breasts
1/2 cup white vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup large pineapple chunks (I used tidbits - large can from Sam's) so they will probably disappear in the slow cooker)
1 cup pineapple juice (I tried it with OJ this time too, we'll see how that goes.)

Low 6-7 hours

Orange Honey Teriyaki - recipe from the Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sweet and Savory sauce you buy at Costco.
It's 1 cup sauce, 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup honey.  (There was a lot of sauce left over, nice for over your rice but it is a little sweet so be warned).

Italian - From Over the Blue Moon

I also trimmed and froze two cookie sheets of tenders and then transferred them into freezer bags.

Canned:
I pressure canned two batches using my new Tattler lids.  I learned a few things:

  • Don't over tighten the lids, they need to be 1/4 in loose to vent.
  • Tighten when you take them out  - they are really HOT, use a couple of rags.
  • DON'T HURRY - three of my pints didn't seal and were RUINED because when we slapped the lid on the rubber seal slipped into the jar and then that rubber cooked with the chicken - yum - NOT!! -resulting in really sour chicken that had me worried that I had just prepared 80 lbs of bad chicken.
Slow Cooker:
Orange Honey Teriyaki - with rice, not a bad dinner.

I still have once bowl left, I'm thinking General Tso's chicken!