Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Disaster Preparedness Checklist, also known as my" to-do" list

This is information comes from another handout from Sister Lana Richardson

At Home:

  • The water heater is strapped to the wall
  • I know how to shut off the water, power and gas and have placed the needed tools at each location
  • I have secured anything that could fall on my head to the wall (TVs, large pictures or mirrors, dressers, shelves)
  • I have made an emergency plan and know escape routes and meeting places.
  • I know the location of the nearest police, fire stations and hospital
  • I know which neighbors have medical experience
  • I have talked with my neighbors about emergency preparedness
  • My neighbors have keys to my house, and they know how to turn off my utilities
  • My neighbors also have a list of my important phone numbers (for some of us, this should probably be expanded to say, I know my neighbors names and phone numbers and they know mine)
  • My household has conducted a home evacuation drill
  • My children know how to get help from neighbors and 911
  • Each family member carries a family photo
  • I have evaluated what supplies my family needs to store
  • I have the proper amount of water stored for emergency use
  • I have stored food supplies
  • I have stored cooking items for emergency use
  • I have stored emergency items to use as shelter.
  • I have a first aid kit
  • I have stored emergency lighting equipment (flashlight, batteries, lantern, candles, matches 8 - hr heat in a can etc.)
  • I have stored items to keep in touch with the world (radio, battery solar powered, maybe a solar charger for cell phones etc., West Haven City tests different radios in our city to see which work the best, according to a council member your best bet is to get your Ham radio license but they will continue to test other options)
  • I have positioned tools that I will need in an emergency.
  • I have stored sanitation supplies
  • I have stored supplies for the baby
  • I have stored supplies for my pets
  • I have stored misc. supplies, including money for emergency use.
The Car
  • I make it a point to keep the tank full
  • I keep tools in the trunk
  • I keep the car mechanically sound and ready to use
  • I keep supplies in the car for use in an emergency


It's probably obvious to most parents but the supplies in the car can be SO useful even for very minor emergencies, having baby, small child supplies, wipes and hand sanitizer can be a blessing.  I also like to have a bucket, Lysol, water bottles, a first aid kit, some kind of treat and changes of clothes.  In the winter extra socks and jackets are great too.