Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Biscuits with Soda Pop

Here's a camping post for you  . . . AND a food storage recipe.

Biscuits and gravy are a given when my Dad is making breakfast, he's always loved them so I wasn't surprised when the last time we visited he made a big 'ole "heart - attack" breakfast.  Don't get me wrong I love a good breakfast we just don't have them very often because of the whole "I don't want to die young"ish" or in a painful matter" thing.

My dad loves to cook in a Dutch oven and recently while teaching a class to a bunch of scouts he learned a new way to make biscuits and he tried it out on us.

Surprisingly this recipe actually made them healthier.

Ingredients
Self rising flour
cream soda

That's it.

He mixed the soda in until he had the consistency he wanted rolled them out, cut out biscuits and baked them (in the oven this time).

They were actually quite cook, not as flaky as usual but not greasy either which was nice.

When I got home I did a google search to see if I could find a bit more information and I found that most recipes use a bit of shortening or oil too, which would make it flakier but I thought they were fine with out it.

If you're nervous about trying something without a recipe you can try this.  (It uses flour and baking powder as a substitute for self rising flour but if that is something you store feel free to replace the flour and baking powder with 3 cups of self rising flour).

Biscuits with Soda Pop

3 cups flour
3/8 cup oil (optional)
one can soda; ginger ale, sprite, etc. but not diet
3 Tbsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 400F, mix all ingredients, you may need a bit more flour if it's too sticky.  Roll out to about 1/2 inch think and cut into biscuits. 

Bake for 17 to 20 minutes.


printable recipe