Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Sunday, May 20, 2012

MAY - Monthly Focus and Challenge

Oops, I kind of dropped the ball here.  I'm hoping you Kanesville Stake members all noted the Monthly Focus and Challenge in you ward buildings but for everyone else here it is:

Focus:  Plant what you eat
Challenge:  Plant something, even if it's just in a pot

And since I'm, oh, 20 days late giving this to you, I'll share my experience of eating what I planted.

Will all of this lovely sunshine, we are already doing it.

This year I planted red lettuce, spinach and sugar snap peas early and I'm now enjoying them.




The spinach froze and so the outer leaves were a little brownish and I left it too long and so the leaves are a little thickish, but chopped up in a smoothy - it's yummy and healthy.  I'll pick quicker next time so I can enjoy it in a salad.

 The lettuce was delicious in my favorite salad (with Craisins, Feta cheese 
and Kraft Free Caesar Italian dressing, this is seriously good, you can add grilled chicken and apples too.  Food storage wise it's easy to store the Craisins and dressing and a big thing of Feta usually lasts me 3 or 4 months, frozen chicken and apples -well they might not last 3 months but they do last quite a while when stored someplace cool - just remember not to store apples with other fruits or veggies as they will cause other produce to ripen more quickly.