Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

June 2017 Stake Relief Society Presidency Message

June​ ​2017
Dear​ ​Sisters,

As​ ​I​ ​was​ ​putting​ ​away​ ​my​ ​Mother’s​ ​Day​ ​card​ ​from​ ​my ​ ​oldest​ ​son​ ​I​ ​read​ ​again​ ​what​ ​it​ ​said,​ ​“Our Family ​ ​Tree​ ​may​ ​look​ ​different,​ ​but​ ​it’s​ ​the​ ​most​ ​loving ​ ​and​ ​accepting​ ​place​ ​I​ ​know​ ​I’m​ ​proud​ ​of our​ ​family. ​ ​I’m​ ​proud​ ​to​ ​call​ ​you​ ​mom.​ ​My​ ​family​ ​does​ ​look​ ​a ​ ​little​ ​different,​ ​we​ ​are​ ​a​ ​​ ​blended family​ ​and​ ​my ​ ​grandchildren​ ​are​ ​part​ ​of​ ​a​ ​blended​ ​family.​ ​​ ​This​ ​ card​ ​reminded​ ​me​ ​of​ ​what​ ​Sharon Eubank,​ ​First​ ​Counselor ​ ​in​ ​the​ ​Relief​ ​Society​ ​General​ ​Presidency,​ ​wrote​ ​about ​ ​in​ ​her​ ​message: "Woman​ ​Are​ ​the​ ​Glue.​" She​ ​says,​ ​“When​ ​I​ ​was​ ​first​ ​called​ ​to​ ​serve​ ​in​ ​Relief​ ​Society, ​ ​I​ ​was surprised​ ​at​ ​how​ ​many​ ​woman​ ​sat​ ​down​ ​and​ ​told ​ ​me:​ ​“I’m​ ​not​ ​a​ ​‘Relief​ ​Society’​ ​type.​ ​​ ​I’m​ ​not like ​ ​everyone​ ​else.​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​politically​ ​conservative,​ ​or​ ​I ​ ​don’t​ ​stay​ ​home.​ ​​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​put​ ​together. My​ ​kids​ ​are ​ ​in​ ​trouble.​ ​​ ​I’m​ ​twice​ ​divorced.​ ​​ ​I​ ​have​ ​sins​ ​I​ ​can’t​ ​put​ ​to​ ​rest.​ ​​ ​I​ ​have​ ​doctrinal issues.​ ​​ ​Relief Society​ ​increases​ ​my​ ​anxiety.”​ ​​ ​I​ ​realized​ ​after​ ​a​ ​lot​ ​of​ ​this​ ​that​ ​none​ ​of​ ​us​ ​fit ​in.

Relief​ ​ Society​ ​is​ ​exactly​ ​the​ ​place​ ​for​ ​all​ ​of​ ​us​ ​who ​ ​don’t​ ​fit​ ​in.​ ​​ ​It​ ​is​ ​organized​ ​under​ ​priesthood keys ​ ​for​ ​women​ ​to​ ​have​ ​a​ ​place​ ​to​ ​grow,​ ​progress,​ ​build ​ ​their​ ​faith,​ ​talk​ ​about​ ​the​ ​reality​ ​of family​ ​life,​ ​and​ ​mourn​ ​with​ ​each​ ​other​ ​for​ ​all​ ​the​ ​stupid,​ ​crazy ​ ​things​ ​that​ ​happen​ ​to​ ​us​ ​when​ ​we are​ ​mortals.​ ​Relief​ ​Society​ ​has​ ​a​ ​work​ ​to​ ​do​ ​on​ ​the​ ​earth.​ ​​ ​The​ ​Lord ​ ​has​ ​a​ ​stewardship​ ​for​ ​His daughters​ ​in​ ​the​ ​work​ ​of​ ​salvation,​ ​and​ ​only​ ​we​ ​can​ ​do​ ​it.​ ​​ ​

Sister ​ ​Addie​ ​Fuhriman,​ ​who​ ​was​ ​on the​ ​Relief​ ​Society​ ​general ​ ​board,​ ​said:​ ​“The​ ​Lord​ ​saw​ ​our​ ​similarities​ ​as​ ​well ​ ​as​ ​our​ ​differences, and​ ​he​ ​valued​ ​both.​ ​​ ​And​ ​from ​ ​that​ ​wisdom,​ ​he​ ​provided​ ​Relief​ ​Society​ ​where​ ​gospel ​ ​principles that​ ​can​ ​touch​ ​the​ ​heart​ ​and​ ​life​ ​of​ ​each ​ ​woman-you,​ ​me,​ ​young,​ ​old,​ ​married,​ ​single...could​ ​be taught.”​ ​​ ​Sister​ ​Eubank​ ​continues,​ ​​ ​“Can​ ​we​ ​open​ ​up ​ ​the​ ​circle​ ​of​ ​our​ ​sisterhood​ ​to​ ​many​ ​more kinds​ ​of ​ ​backgrounds​ ​and​ ​see​ ​those​ ​backgrounds​ ​as​ ​valuable ​ ​instead​ ​of​ ​as​ ​handicaps?​ ​​ ​If​ ​you do​ ​this,​ ​you​ ​become ​ ​a​ ​woman​ ​with​ ​sticky​ ​hands.​ ​​ ​It’s​ ​as​ ​if​ ​you​ ​put ​ ​glue​ ​on​ ​your​ ​hand​ ​and​ ​it’ll​ ​dry clear.​ ​​ ​But​ ​it​ ​ sticks.​ ​​ ​And​ ​when​ ​you​ ​reach​ ​out​ ​with​ ​those​ ​sticky ​ ​hands,​ ​you’ll​ ​hold​ ​fast​ ​to​ ​the people​ ​you​ ​care​ ​about.​ ​​ ​​ ​You’ll​ ​bring​ ​them​ ​in.​ ​​ ​You​ ​are​ ​a​ ​good ​ ​Samaritan.​ ​​ ​You​ ​are​ ​a​ ​seeker​ ​of black​ ​sheep.​ ​​ ​You​ ​ bond​ ​with​ ​people​ ​and​ ​won’t​ ​let​ ​go.​ ​​ ​You​ ​become​ ​an ​ ​example​ ​to​ ​others​ ​of​ ​the tolerance​ ​and​ ​good will​ ​that ​ ​glues​ ​the​ ​world​ ​together​ ​when​ ​woman​ ​try."

Sisters, ​ ​if​ ​you​ ​feel​ ​like​ ​you​ ​don’t​ ​fit​ ​in​ ​or​ ​feel ​ ​different​ ​from​ ​everyone​ ​else​, celebrate​ ​those differences. ​ ​That’s​ ​what​ ​makes​ ​you​ ​who​ ​you​ ​are.​ ​You​ ​are​ ​the ​ ​glue.​ ​We​ ​all​ ​have​ ​so​ ​much​ ​to​ ​learn from​ ​one​ ​another. ​ ​I​ ​hope​ ​you​ ​truly​ ​know​ ​how​ ​wonderful​ ​you​ ​are​ ​and ​ ​that​ ​we​ ​all​ ​belong​ ​here​ ​in Relief​ ​Society​ ​hand​ ​in ​ ​hand​ ​as​ ​sisters.

Love,

Sister​ ​Patty​ ​Mark
2nd​ ​Counselor