Photobucket
Home       Relief Society       Family History       Emergency Preparedness       Food Storage       Canning       Gardening       Recipes       Share      

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas

We went camping this past week and this time we decided to vary the hot dog, sandwiches, hot dog routine and I tried a new recipe.  This was nice because the ingredients were things I normally have on hand.  I did have to buy sour cream, but I'm thinking of investing in powdered sour cream, at least for baking.  Anyone have any suggestions on what brand to buy?

I found the original recipe on the Internet on a site called grouprecipes.com and modified it a bit.

Ingredients
2 pints, canned chicken (the original called for 1 chicken, boiled and boned)
1 - 2 cups chicken broth (I just used the juice from my canned chicken).
1 small can chopped green chilies
1 can red or green enchilada sauce (I used red)
2 cans cream of chicken soup (the original used 1 can cream or chicken, 1 can cream of mushroom, but because my family complained I quit storing cream or mushroom).
1 cup sour cream
dash of onion powder (I forgot it and it was still good so . . . .)
1 lb. grated cheese ( I used some from my freezer that was a pizza blend - I think - cheddar and mozzarella)
   * word to the wise - when freezing grated cheese store in sandwich or quart sized baggies not gallon sized ones, unless you are going to freeze it on a pan and then put it in the baggies.
12 flour tortillas.


Combine first 7 ingredients and 1/2 the cheese in a pan and heat until the cheese melts/  ( I did this but I'm not sure it's necessary, especially if you are adapting this for a regular oven.)
Layer tortillas, cream mixture and cheese, repeat until you use all of the tortillas.


I did 3 tortillas, mix, cheese, 3 tortillas, mix, cheese etc. ending with tortillas and just cheese for the top layer because I like crunchy tortillas.

I used a dutch oven liner for the first time and LOVED it, no clean up!


Bake 30 minutes with about 10 coals on the bottom and 12 on top (350 degrees).

printable recipe

I was not in charge of the coals so I think we used more.  The top was nice and crispy though and most loved it.  (I have picky kids so if everyone loved it I would be in shock).  We ate it with corn chips, also from food storage.